TLB Miss booting linux kernel on ppc 405

Robert Woodworth rwoodworth at securics.com
Fri Feb 22 06:12:03 EST 2008

I'm no expert but....

I did configure my device with the DCR enabled and connected the PLBv46
DCR to the PPC.  In the TLB miss ISR I read the PLB registers and the
MCSR I *DID* notice that the PLB error registers were set.

I added some asm code to read MCSR (see Xilinx UG011.pdf, page 213) and
I also added the asm code to read the DCR of the PLB.  Sure enough, the
MCSR and PLB-DCR registers showed a DPLBError.

It's only a couple of asm statements:

mfspr   r30, 0x23c

Question to Xilinx experts:
What would cause the PLB to issue the DPLBError?????

<note to Xilinx>

Hey Xilinx guys!
Can you hack the gdb included with EDK such that it will recognize the
MCSR when gdb reads registers!

</note to Xilinx>