TLB Miss booting linux kernel on ppc 405

David Baird dhbaird at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 08:47:39 EST 2008

Hi Ricardo,

On Feb 20, 2008 2:29 PM, Ricardo Ayres Severo <severo.ricardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't solve the problem yet. I'm having problems with the memset_io
> in early_init and am studying if the SDRAM is initializing right.
> Any progress I'll send to the list.

It sounds suspiciously like you might be having this problem:

    http://www.nabble.com/Problem-booting-Linux-2.6-on-Virtex-4-td14795525.html
    "Things start to go obviously wrong after early_init calls memset to
    clear the .bss section."

I don't know what the cause of the problem was, but the symptom is
that different memory regions were aliased onto each other (it was
like an address bit wasn't working or something funny was happening
with the cache ... but only in virtual mode).  The problem was fixed
after rebuilding the design in EDK 9.2i.  I don't know what caused the
problem originally though.

Let us know if you get this resolved or have more questions...  I
might not be able answer, but hopefully someone can help.

-David