Frustrated question with insmod

Magnus Hjorth mh at omnisys.se
Sun Feb 17 23:04:22 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 00:03 -0800, Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:

> > 'cat /proc/modules' perhaps?
>
> I tried that, but it gives me an odd address (at least I think it's an odd
> address): 0xE1188000.  I use that address in GDB for adding the symbol
> table (i.e., add-symbol-file mymodule 0xE1188000), but then the BDI
> reports "*** MMU: address translation for 0xE118822C failed" when I try to
> set a breakpoint in the probe function.  Admittedly I'm new to driver
> writing, but shouldn't the address be somewhere in the 0xC0xxxxxx range?

I believe the modules live in the kernel's dynamically allocated memory
area in the 0xExxxxxxx range..

Can you set breakpoints anywhere in the kernel? Try picking a function address from System.map and set a breakpoint there.

I have little experience with what you're doing, but my guess is that you're setting the breakpoint in the wrong context, probably standing in userspace..