V4 FX12 and PLB TEMAC: no space for user logic?

Mohammad Sadegh Sadri mamsadegh at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 14 08:00:11 EST 2008

llandre,

Our tests show that V4 FX 12 is really a small device. The FPGA was completely full with these set of modules:

1- CPU core and related circuits, 2- PLB TEMAC , 3- DDR SDRAM Controller , 4- PLB BRAM IF , 5- Bridges , 6- OPB UART and 7- OPB EMC controller (Used for interfacing to flash chips )

The synthesis tool we used during our tests was : XST
it seems that there are some solutions to have a more optimized implementation on FX-12, personally i visited one of the members here who claimed that he has two PLB TEMACs enabled on one FX-12 FPGA. I believe that this is not possible. may be if one use better synthesis tools such as Synplify he may get slightly better results.

any how, in my idea FX-12 is not suitable for serious projects, it is suitable only for beginning phases of a project and the research phase.
We are now focusing on ML410, a great board by Xiling, featuring on FX-60 FPGA while keeps costs low.

any questions are welcom,
thanks,
Mohammad.