V4 FX12 and PLB TEMAC: no space for user logic?

llandre r&d2 at dave-tech.it
Wed Feb 13 20:32:58 EST 2008

Hi Mohammad,

I've just had a look at the messages you generously posted in the ml
about your experience with linux on V4 FX12 FPGA.
I'd like to ask your opinion about FX12 practical usability in this
context (gigabit PLB TEMAC/linux).
In this message

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.ppc.embedded/16816

you say the device is completely full. If I understand correctly your
system provides just the devices required to run the bandwidth test so
it seems there is no room for user logic (I think you did not even add
the memory controller required to access the NOR Flash containing
bootloader, kernel image and root fs that is clearly mandatory for
standalone product). Is that true? If it is, this limits a lot the
flexibility of this architecture in this configuration. What do you think?

Regards,
llandre

DAVE Electronics System House - R&D Department
web:   http://www.dave.eu
email: r&d2 at dave-tech.it