MPC8272 FCC2 MDIO on Port D and FS_ENET

Show Man therealshowman at yahoo.ca
Tue Feb 12 06:45:27 EST 2008

As part of the port of our device (MPC8271 based) from 2.6.23 using arch/ppc to 2.6.24 arch/powerpc, I've hit a road block in the past few days in trying to make FS_ENET (freescale)/CPM2 recognize the BCM5221 PHY, which means I can't get eth0 up and running.
  It worked fine in 2.26.23 arch/ppc when configured as FEC_ENET.

  As far as I can tell, the "dts" is fine for FCC2 (see below), with the proper pins connected to the device/phy:
                          mdio at 10d60 {
                                device_type = "mdio";
                                compatible = "fsl,mpc8272ads-mdio-bitbang",
                                             "fsl,mpc8272-mdio-bitbang",
                                             "fsl,cpm2-mdio-bitbang";
                                reg = <10d60 14>;
                                #address-cells = <1>;
                                #size-cells = <0>;
                                fsl,mdio-pin = <1d>;
                                fsl,mdc-pin = <17>;
                                  PHY0: ethernet-phy at 0 {
                                        interrupt-parent = <&PIC>;
                                        interrupts = <31 8>;
                                        reg = <4>;
                                        device_type = "ethernet-phy";
                                };
                          };
                          ethernet at 11320 {
                                device_type = "network";
                                compatible = "fsl,mpc8272-fcc-enet",
                                             "fsl,cpm2-fcc-enet";
                                reg = <11320 20 8500 100 113b0 1>;
                                local-mac-address = [ 00 00 00 00 00 00 ];
                                interrupts = <21 8>;
                                interrupt-parent = <&PIC>;
                                phy-handle = <&PHY0>;
                                linux,network-index = <0>;
                                fsl,cpm-command = <16200300>;
                        };

  During my debugging, it appears to be that the PHY is not detected during
  drivers/net/phy/phy_device.c: get_phy_device(..)
  Basically, the phy_id is 0xFFFFFFFF.

  I'm going to try to put a probe on the MDIO/MDC lines later on, but I was wondering whether anyone would have any ideas as to what could be wrong.

  thanks