virtex uImage and serial ports

John Linn John.Linn at xilinx.com
Wed Dec 31 05:16:34 EST 2008

Hi Joshua,

Have you looked at our wiki site at http://xilinx.wikidot.com as we
quite a bit of information there.

The ML405 board is a V2Pro chip so it should be pretty close to what you
want using the default kernel config for virtex4.

I haven't tested the console at 115,200 as I use it at 9600.  Shouldn't
be a problem, but may not hurt to stay at 9600 to get it working.

There are pages on the wiki about using u-boot with the kernel also as
it sounds like that's what you're doing.

Thanks,
John

platform (I call it Q5).  I already
> have many years of running 2.4.26 and booting from u-boot.
>
> The problem is getting the console running.  I have a device tree blob
built and loaded into memory,
> and by peeking at __log_buf I can see that it is reading this okay
(i.e. it is correctly finding my
> interrupt controller).  However, by the time it goes to mount the
ramdisk as root, it complains that
> there is no console.
>
> I'm fairly certain /chosen has stdout pointing to the correct UART,
and the console arguments are
> ttyS0,115200.
>
> In looking through the code however, I cannot figure out how the
uImage code actually initializes the
> serial-ports for the XILINX_VIRTEX_GENERIC_BOARD.  As I understand it,
the only place where
> serial_console_init is called, is within platform_init, and this isn't
called for uImage.

> So, three questions.
>
> 1) How is the serial driver supposed to know where the platforms
serial ports are?

> 2) If I wanted to scrap u-boot and just copy kernel/ramdisk/dtb to
memory, which kernel make target
> should I use?  dtbImage, simpleImage?
>
> 3) What is the best, most modern image to build that should be used by
u-boot?

> Thanks in advance
>
> Joshua
>
> p.s. I've been trying with kernel.org mainline, xilinx git and denx
ELDK xenomai (2.6.24).  U-boot is
> built from latest git source.  DTS file built from XPS 9.1i with
latest service packs, and turned