Weird strings in kernel uname when cross-compiling

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Dec 5 03:01:36 EST 2008

Dear Albert,

In message <20081204064414.3b72ba91 at zod.rchland.ibm.com> Josh Boyer wrote:

> >  anybody knows why every time I cross-compile my kernel (Denx 4.2
> > cross-compiling chain ) I get an extra string in my vermagic like this
> >
> > 2.6.24-rc3-gd7ed933b-dirty
> >  Having that is a bit annoying when I try to natively compile modules,
> > so I need to workaround it by copying  that extra string into my other
> > Makefiles. Anybody knows how to get rid of it?

It seems you don;t use the kernel's Makefile to build your modules,
which is a problem in itself. You should fix that first.

> It gets added on if you are building from a git repository and you have
> CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO set.  Disable that and it should go away.

Note that disabling this is strongly  discouraged  as  the  "annoying
extra  string"  is  extremely  useful  -  it allows for exact version
ideltification of the kernel you are using, including the  fact  that
you have modified but uncommited files in your tree.

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The universe, they said, depended for its operation on the balance of
four forces which they identified as charm,  persuasion,  uncertainty
and bloody-mindedness.      -- Terry Pratchett, "The Light Fantastic"