Virtual IRQs on 82xx

Muller, Ralf (NSN - FI/Espoo) ralf.muller at nsn.com
Thu Aug 28 16:37:34 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm using a 8247 custom board and kernl 2.6.21.7 on the arch/powerpc
branch. Here the irq are virtualized  in the irq map functions now I'm
facing several problems.
* I have to manually call irq_create_of_mapping for each CPM interrupt
* The irq_map structure, which associates virtual to HW IRQs is not
initialized auto matically
* The reverse map isn't initialized

And the major problem is:
Now the kernel mixes virtual- and HW-IRQs, e.g. request_irq works with
HW_IRQs but the interrupt handler with virtual interrupts, which can't
work.
For some reason even on a powerpc the first 16 interrupts are reserved
for legacy (PC) IRQs, so the easiest mapping HW-IRQ0 -> VIRQ16 a.s.o
Is there an solution available for this problem, at least for it looks
like the problem still persists in 2.6.26?

Regards,
Ralf