Compile new kernel for 5200B w/ ELDK

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at arcor.de
Wed Aug 27 03:01:59 EST 2008

Hi all,

please excuse a probably really dumb question about compiling a new
kernel for a Freescale 5200B using the ELDK 4.2...

I am playing with a Lite5200B eval board.  The software coming from
Freescale, including an older kernel (2.6.16.11-rt18), works fine.

I installed ELDK 4.2 on a FC box, and first compiled u-boot 1.3.4.
Wrote it to flash, and it works nicely afaict.

Then I compiled the 2.6.24.2 kernel coming with the ELDK, using the
commands "make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_6xx- lite5200_defconfig ;
make ARCH=powerpc CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_6xx- uImage".  The kernel loads,
decompresses, but then there is no output any more after "Uncompressing
Kernel Image ... OK".  The u-boot environment contains (quoted from
printenv) "bootargs=console=ttyPSC0,115200 root=/dev/mtdblock0 rw
rootfstype=jffs2 verbose" (and, again, the Freescale kernel is not
silent).

I found a message which stated that I should include

<snip>
         chosen {
                 linux,stdout-path = "/soc5200 at f0000000/serial at 2000";
	};
</snip>

in the file arch/powerpc/boot/dts/lite5200.dts.  Recompiled, but
without success.  I believe it's a minor tweak I need to add, but I
don't have a clue what.  Unfortunately neither the wiki nor Google gave
answers.  Can anyone enlighten me??

Thanks,
Albrecht.