floating point support in the driver.

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Aug 2 01:54:29 EST 2008

In message: <18772952.post at talk.nabble.com>
            Misbah khan <misbah_khan at engineer.com> writes:
: I am not very clear Why floating point support in the Kernel should be
: avoided ?

Because saving the FPU state is expensive.  The kernel multiplexes the
FPU hardware among all the userland processes that use it.  For parts
of the kernel to effectively use the FPU, it would have to save the
state on traps into the kernel, and restore the state when returning
to userland.  This is a big drag on performance of the system.  There
are ways around this optimization where you save the fpu state
explicitly, but the expense si still there.

: We want our DSP algorithm to run at the boot time and since kernel thread
: having higher priority , i assume that it would be faster than user
: application.

Bad assumption.  User threads can get boots in priority in certain
cases.

If it really is just at boot time, before any other threads are
started, you likely can get away with it.

: If i really have to speed up my application execution what mechanism will
: you suggest me to try ?
:
: After using Hardware VFP support also i am still laging the timing
: requirement by 800 ms in my case

This sounds like a classic case of putting 20 pounds in a 10 pound bag
and complaining that the bag rips out.  You need a bigger bag.

If you are doing FPU intensive operations in userland, moving them to
the kernel isn't going to help anything but maybe latency.  And if you
are almost a full second short, your quest to move things into the
kernel is almost certainly not going to help enough.  Moving things
into the kernel only helps latency, and only when there's lots of
context switches (since doing stuff in the kernel avoids the domain
crossing that forces the save of the CPU state).

I don't know if the 800ms timing is relative to a task that must run
once a second, or once an hour.  If the former, you're totally
screwed and need to either be more clever about your algorithm
(consider integer math, profiling the hot spots, etc), or you need
more powerful silicon.  If you  are trying to shave 800ms off a task
that runs for an hour, then you just might be able to do that with
tiny code tweaks.

Sorry to be so harsh, but really, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Warner

: ---- Misbah <><
:
: