mpc5200 arch=powerpc kernel=2.6.24: how do I request external IRQ0-3?

mtwallet mike_timmons at trimble.com
Sun Apr 27 11:58:50 EST 2008

I got something working. I created a "device" child in the DTS file and used
th platform driver subsystem to register my module and get the virtual IRQ
as derived from the interrupt triplet-style spec in the dts file.

I'm still not real content as my child is nested with the SOC peripherals,
but this is more of a style/readability hang-up for me, for now. At least
now I can get the virtual irq by registering a platform driver, requesting
the irq number, and successfully requesting the irq.

I welcome any advice if I have used the dts file in an unintended fashion,
but it feels like the right place to specify a "device", even if all the
device embodies is an IRQ. Newbie conceptual difficulty overcome.