Help with Device tree setup and booting kernel

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 04:06:23 EST 2007

On 9/28/07, Nick <ndroogh at rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am having trouble booting a 2.6.23-rc6 kernel with a device tree.  My
> board is a MPC5200b base board with 128 Megs of DDR memeory.
> My UBoot (1.3.0-rc2)seems to be doing what is should be doing.  I
> download the .dtb file to 00800000 and the uImage to 00200000
> I get the following:
>
> => bootm 00200000 - 00800000
> ## Booting image at 00200000 ...
>   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.23-rc6-gea60adb5-dirty
>   Created:      2007-09-28   9:49:16 UTC
>   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
>   Data Size:    1212342 Bytes =  1.2 MB
>   Load Address: 00000000
>   Entry Point:  00000000
>   Verifying Checksum ... OK
>   Uncompressing Kernel Image ... OK
>   Booting using the fdt at 0x800000
>
> My board is now hung, with no more output to the console.  My board does
> work.  I have been running 2.6.19 for more than a year but I had to
> upgrade.

Does the machine name in the root of your device tree match the name
the code in arch/powerpc/platforms/52xx/whatever.c? You get what you
are seeing if the names don't match.

You also get this error if the kernel is looking someplace where the
device tree isn't.
Do these need to match? 007fc000 and 00800000