changing the EDLK components

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 27 09:20:20 EST 2007

In message <4e5a3720709260725x6d2e9faemc6a6053379610df8 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I want to learn the way of building a GNU Automake project and adding
> it into ELDK. This could be needed because the current version of an
> ELDK component is old to meet the requirements or a library which is
> not an ELDK component is to be used in our ppc system.

In  principle,  this  is  a  pretty  straightforward  procedure:  you
download   the   source   RPM   (for   example,  from  the  Fedora  7
distribution), and use the "rpmbuild" command on the  native  syustem
(running  with  root  file  system  mounted  over  NFS  or on a local
harddisk) to build the stuff. For example:

$ rpmbuild --rebuild automake17-1.7.9-8.src.rpm

That's in proinciple. In  reality,  you  will  soon  learn  that  the
package  has  a  lot  of  build  dependencies,  which are not exactly
trivial to resolve, as some of them are circular. You can try and find
what's really needed (and not included with the ELDK) by running

$ rpmbuild --rebuild --nodeps automake17-1.7.9-8.src.rpm

but this is just tof ind out how many othe rpackages youw ill need to
build before...

> As now, I need to upgrade an ELDK component. Namely, I need version
> 0.9.8 of OpenSSL, where latest ELDK release has OpenSSL with version
> 0.9.7f. I want to learn if it is necessary for me to follow the same

You don't need a native version of automake for this, as  builing  is
done  in  the  cross  environment,  and  we  assume you have automake
installed on your build host.

> procedure stated in documentation in section "3.7. Rebuilding ELDK
> Components". If this is the case, could anyone point me to resources
> about how to prepare source rpms from an Automake project to prepare

I don't understand why you mention automake here. It is completely
unrelated.

> the source rpm of version 0.9.8 of OpenSSL? Of course building the new
> version of the component and placing everything by hand is always a
> solution, but I want to understand the clean way of doing this.

The clean way is to adjust the ELDK buld system for the new  version.
This  is  usually  a  non-trivial  job. By doing it you will start to
admire what ELDK gives you and understand at least a bit of how  much
effort is built into it - and you get it all completely for free...

Alternatively, you can just wait for ELDK 4.2, which will include
openssl-0.9.8b-12

Best regards,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
That Microsoft, the Trabant of the operating  system  world,  may  be
glancing  over the Berlin Wall at the Audis and BMWs and Mercedes. In
their own universe Trabants and Ladas were mainstream too...
                                                   -- Evan Leibovitch