Linux doesn not boot from u-boot on ML403

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Mon Sep 24 01:32:25 EST 2007

On 9/23/07, Miroslaw Dach <miroslaw.dach at psi.ch> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> Thank you very much for your advices which were very valuable for me.
>
> Recently I have followed your advice to move from kernel 2.6.21 to the
> higher one in order to have the possibility to boot the kernel from
> u-boot. I have copied across from you git tree the latest version of linux
> kernel 2.6.23 rc-2.
>
> It compiles successfully with some warnings like below:
>   MODPOST vmlinux.o
> WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x223c): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:early_init (between 'start_here' and 'initial_mmu')
> WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x2254): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:machine_init (between 'start_here' and 'initial_mmu')
> WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x2258): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:MMU_init (between 'start_here' and 'initial_mmu')
> WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x22b2): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:start_kernel (between 'start_here' and 'initial_mmu')
> WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x22b6): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:start_kernel (between 'start_here' and 'initial_mmu')
>    LD      vmlinux

Yes, I see this warning too.  I haven't had a chance to debug it.

> My observation is that the linux 2.6.23 rc-2 is not that stable as 2.6.21.
> In most cases It boots successfully (ie. zImage.elf) but occasionally it
> fails during booting. It has never occurred with 2.6.21 which I also
> copied from your side.

Hmm, what failure mode are you seeing?  I haven't experienced that
problem.  However, -rc7 is now out, so I'd recommend moving up to it.
(Hint: use git to make it easy to pull the latest version and either
'quilt' or 'stgit' to manage your changes on top of the mainline tree;
it will make up/downgrading to different kernel version much easier)

> Second question:
>
> In addition I wanted to ask you about u-boot tree which you have mentioned
> in the post on u-boot mailing list. This post was about uart lite for
> ml403 in u-boot.
>
> I was not able to find the project which you have mentioned there:
> git://git.secretlab.ca/git/u-boot.git

That's because there is not such tree.  :-)  I retired that tree a
while ago because it's no longer current.  You can use the mainline
u-boot tree:

git://www.denx.de/git/u-boot.git

> This what interests me in particular concerning u-boot is the uart lite
> and temac interfaces from ml403.

:-(  I don't think either uartlite or temac drivers has been ported to u-boot.

Cheers,
g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.