Linux doesn not boot from u-boot on ML403

Miroslaw Dach miroslaw.dach at psi.ch
Sun Sep 23 23:27:52 EST 2007

Hi Grant,

Thank you very much for your advices which were very valuable for me.

Recently I have followed your advice to move from kernel 2.6.21 to the
higher one in order to have the possibility to boot the kernel from
u-boot. I have copied across from you git tree the latest version of linux
kernel 2.6.23 rc-2.

It compiles successfully with some warnings like below:
  MODPOST vmlinux.o
WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x223c): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:early_init (between 'start_here' and 'initial_mmu')
WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x2254): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:machine_init (between 'start_here' and 'initial_mmu')
WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x2258): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:MMU_init (between 'start_here' and 'initial_mmu')
WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x22b2): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:start_kernel (between 'start_here' and 'initial_mmu')
WARNING: vmlinux.o(.text+0x22b6): Section mismatch: reference to .init.text:start_kernel (between 'start_here' and 'initial_mmu')
   LD      vmlinux

My observation is that the linux 2.6.23 rc-2 is not that stable as 2.6.21.
In most cases It boots successfully (ie. zImage.elf) but occasionally it
fails during booting. It has never occurred with 2.6.21 which I also
copied from your side.

For both kernels I use the same xparamerets_ml403.h file and very similar
.config file

Do you have some idea if it is known problem with booting in 2.6.23 rc-2?
It of course could be something wrong with my ml403 board but I just
wanted to get your opinion about the stability issue. Maybe it is better
to use 2.6.22?

Second question:

In addition I wanted to ask you about u-boot tree which you have mentioned
in the post on u-boot mailing list. This post was about uart lite for
ml403 in u-boot.

I was not able to find the project which you have mentioned there:
git://git.secretlab.ca/git/u-boot.git

This what interests me in particular concerning u-boot is the uart lite
and temac interfaces from ml403.

Thank you very much in advance for any hint

Best Regards

Mirek