Gianfar - MPC8541 - tx buffer overrun errors

Shriram Janardhan shriramjanardhan at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 11:48:44 EST 2007

All,

  I am running 2.6.11 version of the kernel on MPC8541.  Have one of the TSECs configured at 100Mbps/Full Duplex.  The TSEC MAC is connected to a Marvell Ethernet switch MAC without any PHY in between.  MAC level flow control is enabled but no pause frames sent or received.

  I see a high number of transmit buffer overrun errors (tx_fifo_empty errors in the gianfar driver).  I don't have NAPI enabled.  In addition to other things, I was thinking of enabling NAPI and see if it helps - is there any downside to it??  Are there any other parameters that I could tweak to reduce/eliminate the overrun errors??

  Thanks,
  Shriram.