[linux kernel 2.6.19] ethernet driver for Marvell bridge GT-64260

Dale Farnsworth dale at farnsworth.org
Sat Sep 1 02:43:43 EST 2007

> I am porting linux kernel 2.6.19 on a platform based on PPC750FX together
> with a Marvell GT64260.
> I use a patched 643xx driver which is back ported to 64260 by Steven J.
> Hill.
> I have ethernet now up and running, but only if I switch debug on, which
> generates a big bunch of screen messages.
> As soon as I switch debug off, I get the message "Virtual device %s asks
> to queue packet!" on every transmission request.
>
> This happens on ping an other system.
>
> Has anyone experience in such an event? Is there anything how I can speed
> up performance with the 64260?
> Is there a similar problem known with the 64360?

No, this does not happen on the mv64360.  As I recall, that message occurs
when something attempts to queue a packet to a driver that has called
netif_stop_queue() but hasn't yet called netif_wake_queue().  I would
guess that when you turn debug on, you are changing the driver logic
in addition to the timing.

-Dale