PPC4xx 2x eth phy

- Reyneke reynekejunk at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:26:25 EST 2007

Some quick feedback to the list. A few weeks ago I talked about the problem of the second ethernet connection not working when the first ethernet connection does not have a link.

Basically the problem is PHYs that don't generate a RX clock when no link is present (i.e. ET1011. It turns out that in case of the 440Epx, there is some interdependency within the EMAC which means that when EMAC1 initialises, there MUST be a RX clock on EMAC0. If that is not the case, EMAC1 will NOT send/receive even though initialisation and auto-negotiation is successful.

There is some linux code for handling missing RX clocks, but this code does not extend to the scenario where one EMAC is dependent on another EMAC's PHY having a receive clock.

Regards
   Jan Reyneke