MPC85xx and linux IDE driver

Ben Warren bwarren at qstreams.com
Thu Oct 18 04:44:11 EST 2007

Michael Brian Willis wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 15:48 -0400, Ben Warren wrote:
>

>> Here's what I use:
>>
>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=113877891224982&w=2
>>

> Thanks for the response Ben.
>
> I have put the driver you mentioned in my linux source and added the
> necessary information in the Kconfig file and the Makefile. So, I am now
> able to build the driver when I make my kernel image. However, I can't
> figure out what else needs to be done in order to actually use the
> driver for my compact flash device. Do I need to specify anything at the
> kernel command line, or do I need to modify any other config files?
> (Below is the ide portion of my linux .config file)

This device driver is a platform driver, so you need to register a
platform device somewhere in your board-specific init code that contains
the hardware details (memory mapping and IRQ #).  You can either pass
this in via device tree or hard code it.  I chose the latter in order to
get up and runninq quickly.  Here's the init function I use.  CS0 is @
0xe4000000, CS1 is @ 0xe4100000 and I'm using IRQ20, which is one of the
external IRQs on my CPU:

/* Compact Flash Initialization */

static int __init prism_setup_cf(void)
{
    struct resource r[3];
    struct platform_device *cf_dev;
    unsigned int virq;

    memset(&r, 0, sizeof(r));
    r[0].start = 0xe4000000;
    r[0].end = 0xe400000f;
    r[0].flags = IORESOURCE_MEM;

    r[1].start = 0xe4100000;
    r[1].end = 0xe410000f;
    r[1].flags = IORESOURCE_MEM;

    virq = irq_find_mapping(NULL, 20);
    set_irq_type(virq, IRQ_TYPE_EDGE_FALLING);
    r[2].start = virq;
    r[2].end = 0;
    r[2].flags = IORESOURCE_IRQ;

    cf_dev = platform_device_register_simple("mmio-cfide", 0, r, 3);

    return (cf_dev ? 0 : PTR_ERR(cf_dev));
}

> Thank you for your help so far, anymore help/direction is greatly
> appreciated.

Glad to help.

regards,
Ben