Device tree and external RTC

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 09:33:37 EST 2007

On 10/3/07, Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com <Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com> wrote:
> I still think I've got a valid question about the device tree.  Isn't the
> purpose of the device tree to completely describe the HW to the kernel?
> Shouldn't I be able to add a child node to the i2c node describing the
> M41T00 RTC and have the kernel figure out that there's an RTC hanging off
> the I2C bus?  Or am I completely off base here?

I am having the same question about audio codecs. ALSA soc support is
designed to automatically load the right drivers depending on the
hardware in the device. Doesn't the device tree need to include the
codec chips? These chips are hooked up with various combinations of
i2s, ac97 and i2c.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com