Firmware Support for USB Hub

Laurent Pinchart laurentp at cse-semaphore.com
Fri Nov 23 23:23:43 EST 2007

On Friday 23 November 2007 09:45, Misbah khan wrote:
> This is the reply that i got from the Freescale :-

> Reply from Freescale
>
> We recommend using the MPC8272 USB controller.
> We know that customers use the MPC8272/MPC8248 USB controller.
> You can find also USB drivers in Linux software for the MPC8272.
> For example Linux BSP for Freescale MPC8272ADS contains USB slave
> driver
> (http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=0127260061033
>202A5).
>
> Linux USB driver is available in the Arabella Linux
> (http://www.arabellasw.com/products-pow2.php).
>
> If the MPC8272 is USB host, the transaction-level interface can be used.
>
> Note: The MPC8272 USB does not support high-speed mode. It can
> operate on low-speed mode (1.5MHz) or full-speed mode (12MHz).

> Can any body comment on this and help me how to start with and requirement
> is this :-
>
> I need a USB Hub to be connected to the PPC8248 board with Montavista Linux
> 2.6.10 on it what shall i do to achive it ....????The challenges you already
> know

You need a USB host driver for the CPM2 controller. There are several
solutions:

- Start with the driver available at http://cpm2usb.sourceforge.net/ and port
it for your kernel.
- Ask Montavista support for a CPM2 USB host driver (they will most likely
charge for that).
- Buy the Arabella kernel and port the driver to the Montavista kernel (ask
the Arabella support to make sure their USB host driver supports what you
need, and pay attention to possible license issues).

In the end, it boils down to writing code yourself or paying someone to do the
job.

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart

--