how to improve linux tcp/ip(UDP) efficiency on mpc8541 833Mhz.

Theo Gjaltema gjalt007 at chello.nl
Mon Nov 19 04:56:27 EST 2007

Hi,

We use a 8250 and 8270 of which the performance is highly limited by the
bandwidth of the memory to the very small internal cache.
I once modified a driver into a "polling" method polling the device
every millisecond. The amount of messages processed trippled this way!
On full speed the console could even be used for "normal" operation (in
contrairy to the interrupt driver driver).
The penalties are obvious: When the bandwith used is low the delay for
polled messages is higher and the CPU overhead is higher.

Succes,
   Theo.