Latest GCC/GLIBC working combo for a Linux 2.4.x kernel?

Clemens Koller clemens.koller at anagramm.de
Fri May 25 22:54:20 EST 2007

Hi, Sasvata!

> We are using a RHEL/386 machine to cross-compile for Debian/PowerPC
> (8260) target, a few year old embedded system that we inherited.  The
> kernel is 2.4.9. Using crosstools, and following Dan Kegel's notes, the
> combo we have is gcc-2.95-3/glibc-2.2.5.
>
> Does anybody have any working version using newer versions of the 2.4
> kernel and newer GCC versions for a powerpc-603e target?  One motivation
> is to use BusyBox-1.5.1, but I am told on that list that GCC 2/x is too
> old (I tried before I asked, it doesn't compile).

It's propably painful to work your way through crosstools with such an
old toolchain. I would have a look if one of the ELDK's from
http://www.denx.de can be used for your board - at least for a good start.
If you run into problems with older linux-2.4 kernel version with the newer ELDK's,
you can also go back to some older version?

> Any help, pointers, example config files for crosstools, etc. would be
> really appreciated!

You are always welcome at their mailing list. See:
http://kegel.com/crosstool

Best greets,
--
Clemens Koller