initramfs on ppc 405: crc error

Shelley, Mike Mike.Shelley at viasat.com
Fri May 25 11:23:31 EST 2007

I'm having a similar problem to a question posted earlier with
initramfs.

I'm using the 2.6.20 kernel, on a Xilinx Virtex 4, ppc405, no boot
loader.  I use a BDI2000 to load the kernel image directly into RAM
(32MB).

When I use a larger (4mb compressed, 13mb uncompressed) cpio archive for
initramfs, I get a crc error when it tries to decompress it.  When I use
a small simple archive (30k), it works correctly and does not have the
crc problem.  I've tried a cpio.gz archive of about 2mb and still get
the crc error.  Are there any size limitations for the kernel and/or for
initramfs?  What else could the problem be?

The kernel image is being loaded to an address of 0x800000 instead of
0x400000 since it has problems decompressing the kernel at the lower
address, I'm told due to the size of the kernel image (5mb compressed).
Could this positioning be interfering with the initramfs decompression?
Where is the initramfs decompressed to?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike