Help need for WindRiver EST SBC8260 Board

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Wed May 16 14:58:50 EST 2007

techie mj wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> For my project work(Packet filter) we are planning to buy a used
> WindRiver
> EST SBC8260 board
    The board you purchase should as closely as possible resemble your
actual product/target.
    Alot depends on what you are actually trying to accomplish.

    If you are working towards a manufacturing a custom piece of
hardware of your application,
    Then similarity of hardware is of high importance.
    And it may be likely that you have to create or buy a BSP for your
taget - particularly if
    you are supporting multiple OS's.

    If you are doing fairly generic work and the target is the OS's, not
the specific hardware,
    then find a board that is already supported by all the OS's you are
after.

    Before Pico had any of their boards available, I used a Mac Lombard
powerbook I purchased on
    eBay as a target. It was cheap, and runs Linux surprisingly well.

> I am new to this. So i request everyone to suggest me what i should
> look for
> while buying the board.My development environment will be LINUX may be
> vxworks in future.

> 1) My dealer is providing only the Board. ( 4MB-SIMM flash,16MB-SDRAM
> DIMM,
> 8kb- 8 bit EEPROM, 2MB- 8 bit Flash, 4MB SDRAM (Local Bus), RS-232,
> 10/100
> Base-TX Ethernet)
>    Is it enough -or whether i need any extra addon cards

    Again it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
    The first "embedded" system I worked on had 256 bytes of memory, had
a 1Mhz clock,
    and toggle switches.

    The more minimal the hardware in resources and performance the more
difficult the
    development process tends to be.

> 2) Do i need to buy JTAG debugger or any
>    Is it possible to debug the code without JTAG/BDM
    Same as hardware and resources. I do not have a BDM. Many on this
list would think I am crazy.
    I have worked with very powerful debugging tools - but very very
often, all they do is overload you with data.
    On occasion they can be very convenient. But most of the time the
FIRST thing I do starting with new hardware
    is find some way of generating output - usually in the least number
of assembler instructions possible.
    One is really really nice - give me an LED and a bit to flash it and
I can debug anything.
    I needed little more than a virtual LED and printf's to get Linux
working on my target.
    But I had issues with GreenHills Integrity that required both a JTAG
as well as a minimal handwritten software debugger.