USB support for Bamboo/440EP (Yosemite/440EPx)

Gerhard Jaeger g.jaeger at sysgo.com
Tue May 15 17:27:29 EST 2007

On Montag, 14. Mai 2007, Stephen Winiecki wrote:
> Gerhard Jaeger <g.jaeger at sysgo.com> wrote on 05/14/2007 10:31:04 AM:
> > Hi Stephen,
> >
> > I also played with Bamboo and Yosemite USB and found out, that the OHCI
> > ISR contains an assumption that makes the 440 OHCI implementation sometimes
> > stop when having a timeout condition. Find the following sequence @function
> > ohci_irq() (in file ohci-hcd.c) and disable the following code:
> >
> >         if ((ohci->hcca->done_head != 0)
> >                         && ! (hc32_to_cpup (ohci, &ohci->hcca->done_head)
> >                                 & 0x01)) {
> >                 ints =  OHCI_INTR_WDH;
> >    }
> >
> > This should make the USB host work reliably on the 440s.
> >
> Thanks Gerhard.  This definitely makes things work better - I have had
> 100% success in both the kernel and X recognizing the devices and having X
> boot with this update.
>
> However, I am occasionally still having an issue after X comes up with the
> keyboard not working (mouse working fine).  Just to be clear - I only want
> to comment out the code you indicated above - not also any/either of the
> else/if clauses, correct?

Yes - the lines mentioned didn't care about irq-status register
and try to figure out from some context, how the irq-status register
should look like - but this in fact does not work correctly for the
440 OHCI implementation...

> So has this never been formally reported/patched?

Not that I'm aware of, I discovered that a few days ago.

> Do you know also why
> the USB support has not been configured in the mainline kernel for these
> platforms - is it due to known existing issues?

I don't know why this is not part of the mainline kernel. On the PPC
side there is currently a lot of restructure work going on, so I guess
this is only a question of time, when the necessary patches will go
into the mainline.

Please find the patch for the ohc-hcd.c in the attachment.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
Gerhard Jaeger <gjaeger at sysgo.com>
SYSGO AG                      Embedded and Real-Time Software