zImage.elf loads but does not start

Mirek23 miroslaw.dach at psi.ch
Fri May 11 21:21:36 EST 2007

Hi Joe,

      Thank you very much for your e-mail. I did similar thing as you.
I have prepared simple init program to substitute one in /sbin :

#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    char myStr[30];

    printf("Enter the string!\n");
    gets(myStr);
    printf("My string is %s\n",myStr);
    sleep(60);
}

When I booted the kernel I have got a prompted "Enter the string!"
I was also able to type from the keyboard the string.
When I pressed ENTER I have got "My string is <the string I have typed>"

It seems to be that the console works fine and the root file system is
mounted properly via NFS.
I do not however understand why eldk4.1 init does not work.

I have reinstalled the eldk4.1 but still kernel boots to the point when it
executes the init.

I have tried to build the busybox and i have it installed in the place of
/opt/eldk41/ppc_4xx .
I have added to the ppc_4xx directory the dev/console.

When I rebooted the kernel it said that init was not found. I made sure that
init was pointing to ../bin/busybox
I have even copied busybox binary in place of init to have init as a regular
file but each time kernel was complaining that init is missing. Strange :(

Would you or somebody else recommend me the way how to build the root file
system which I could use for my ppc board.

Best Regards

Mirek