zImage.elf loads but does not start

Mead, Joseph mead at bnl.gov
Fri May 11 02:05:25 EST 2007

Hi Mirek,

I am facing the same exact problem.   I am using the ML403 with standard
UART but using initramfs to generate the root file system.   My root
file system contains the /dev/console node and a simple init file that
basically just tries to print out something.   I can tell it is finding
my /dev/console because I don't get the kernel warning : "Unable to open
an initial console"   (If I remove the /dev/console node I get the
warning)

My init program is just a simple hello world program (built statically)

printf("Hello World")
sleep(10)

I can tell that the program is running because after exactly 10seconds I
get a kernel panic, which indicates the end of the program, however I
can never see any messages from user space.

I also tried a statically built version of busybox as my init file but
still get no output.

my filesystem is built from the following file (using initramfs
functionality, which creates the root file system from this file)

dir /dev 755 0 0
nod /dev/console 644 0 0 c 5 1
nod /dev/ttyS0   644 0 0 c 4 64
dir /proc 755 0 0
dir /sys 755 0 0
file /init usr/busybox 755 0 0

I received one bit of information to check my interrrupt lines, but I
see Grant replied that the serial console is polled, so the interrupt
line is probably not the problem.

Please let me know if you make any progress...
Joe