Reading and writing from/to VME device

Didier Kryn kryn at in2p3.fr
Fri Mar 30 19:24:53 EST 2007

    Konstantin, Martin,

    First, I am not sure that our discussion is in the scope of the
list, but the others didn't complain still...

    I gave a look at the VITA publications about the CR/CSR.

    CR/CSR was introduced in the VME64 standard. These registers are
dedicated to inform the user of the board's identity and capabilities
and perform some settings. they belong to a space different of the
"logical" address spaces (A16/A24/A32/A64). The base address of the
"logical" address spaces was traditionally set by hexadecimal switches.
VME64 allows to set it by writing registers in the CR/CSR space.
Obviously, this should not relocate the CR/CSR space itself. VME64 does
not specify how the base address of the CR/CSR space is set.

    VME64 was a transitional standard and this uncertainty has been
solved by VME64x which specifies that this base address is coded on the
backplane connectors this is what makes it a "geographical" address
space (a term derived from FastBus). It allows an application to
discover which board is present in which slot. For this to work, you
should have a VME64x crate and a VME64x board, with the new connector
type for P1 and P2.

    To allow the use of CR/CSR in non-VME64x devices and/or crates, the
CR/CSR base address can sometimes be set by switches (not the same
switches as the other spaces). According to what Konstantin is saying,
his board also maps the CR/CSR to the A16 address space, which seems
strange to me. Have you an online documentation of the board?

    Now, for the ioctl problem, Konstantin, did you try to set
xlatedAddrL to zero. The Tsio148, and therefore the driver, enforce
alignment on  rather big blocks and maybe misalignment is the cause of
the "invalid argument" error. I see no reason not to map the entire A16,
A24 or CR/CSR spaces. For the others, of course, you are limited by the
size of the cpu's address space.

    I will eventually try to reproduce your ioctl problem next week.
Hopping you will solve it before :-) .

    Best regards. Didier