kexec for powerpc arch 834x board?

Ed Swierk eswierk at arastra.com
Fri Mar 23 14:11:55 EST 2007

I'm trying to get kexec to boot a powerpc arch kernel on a Freescale
834x board, but kexec-tools-1.101 seems to support only the Gamecube
on 32-bit ppc.

I tried hacking a memory range of 0x00030000 - 0x08000000 into kexec,
and feeding it the vmlinux  ELF image that's generated when I build
the kernel, but kexec complains about 0xc0000000 being an invalid
memory range.

As far as I understand, 0xc0000000 is the kernel start address in
virtual memory, and it's not clear how to get kexec to load the
vmlinux image at a reasonable physical address (like 0x00030000).

Do I need to build a different powerpc image to make kexec happy, or
is some hacking needed in the kexec userland program? Am I missing a
more powerpc-capable version of kexec-tools?

--Ed