Exception in kernel mode

Charles Krinke ckrinke at istor.com
Sat Mar 17 03:05:14 EST 2007

#2 is inside the kernel as well.  Look at the System.map or objdump -
d vmlinux to see what exactly is at those instructions.

> I suspect the actual addresses are red-herrings and this exception
> can occur at any address. This certainly would tend to indicate
> some sort of memory setup issue.

I think it's useful to know if the instructions at the two offsets
C00DEE18 & C002CE68 are similar in some way before jumping to that
conclusion.

> Changing the Oops logic to printout the NextInstruction as well as
> the NIP might be helpful so I could discern the difference between
> what the program is trying to do and what it is really doing.
>
> Are there any other thoughts you might have on diagnosis techniques
> at this point?

Try turning on KALLSYMS, this should provide more info on the oops as
well.

- k

Dear Kumar:

As always, your advice is appreciated. I will try turning on CONFIG_KALLSYMS in the .config file and see if additional info is obtained. Also, I will audit the MMU setup and see if I can see anything unusual.

Charles