login on console=tty with serial input

hbruegge at rockwellcollins.com hbruegge at rockwellcollins.com
Tue Mar 6 21:21:51 EST 2007

Hi everyone.

I just wondering, if anyone outthere can help me. I am currently kind of
lost.

I have an embedded powerpc based system running with kernel 2.6.20.  The
system has only two serial lines and no PS/2 or USB support. Therefore I
control the system via a serial console ( passing the commandline arg:
console=ttyS0,57600) and a terminal.
A getty program is running on /dev/console, which gives me a login:
prompt, so I can login via the serial line ttyS0.
All is working pretty perfect.

So far so good. And now here comes my problem.
To add a better MMI in the future I want to use the graphic card as an
output.

I added a  graphic card to the system. The kernel configuration includes
framebuffer support for that particular graphic card.
After booting the kernel, I can see a /dev/fb0 device and testing with
'echo "hello" > /dev/fb0', the message "hello" is displayed on the screen.

Also if I add the commandline arg: console=tty console=ttyS0,57600 , I get
all kernel messages displayed, not only on the serial line, but also on
the screen via the framebuffer.

So basically, what I want is graphical output (dev/fb0) with serial input
(/dev/ttyS0). The user sees a login prompt on the screen and can enter
characters by a terminal program connected to the serial line.
Right to that point I always used the serial console for user interaction.
By adding only the commandline argument console=tty, I get a nice login
prompt on the graphic screen. BUT I have no input via the serial line???

So, how do I connect the serial line /dev/ttySx  to the standard input
path of the virtual console.

Any hint is welcomed. Any manuals to read are also welcomed.

Thanx

Harald Brüggemann

Harald Brüggemann
Rockwell Collins Deutschland GmbH