Problems with PHY on STK5200

Jan-Hinnerk Dumjahn jan-hinnerk.dumjahn at arcor.de
Thu Mar 1 22:16:57 EST 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to compile a recent kernel from DENX "linuxppc_2_4_devel" for my
STK5200 using ELDK 3.1.1.

It seems that the current kernel there is not configuring the PHY. It looks
like the link is configured for full-duplex (although it should be configured
half-duplex).
There is no informative output about the PHY after the line

eth0: Phy @ 0x0, type LXT971 (0x001378e2)

-------

I have traced this change of behaviour back to a commit on 2005-09-04
22:41:06. This is a major restructuring/rework of the file
"arch/ppc/5xxx_io/fec.c".

BTW: What is the normal way to reference a commit in a git-repository? I
haven't seen any revision numbers.

The versions also show different program flow (with MPC5xxx_FEC_DEBUG set to
2).
The old version goes:
- mpc5xxx_fec_init()
- mpc5xxx_fec_restart()
  - PHY gets identified here
- mpc5xxx_fec_open()
  - autonegotiation here
- mpc5xxx_fec_restart()

The new one goes
- mpc5xxx_fec_init()
- mpc5xxx_fec_open()
- mpc5xxx_fec_restart()
  - PHY gets identified here

The new version has some bad (or at least dead) code in the funtion
mpc5xxx_fec_setup(). However, I don't understand enough of the drivers design
to see how to fix this.

Can anybody explain what the driver should to? Or even better has some patch
to make it work?

Thanks in advance
/Jan-Hinnerk Dumjahn