mpc8270 & Intel 82551ER on 2.6.17.14

Nicholas Hickman nhickman at dtechlabs.com
Fri Jun 29 08:53:57 EST 2007

I am having trouble getting two 82551ER Ethernet controllers running in
Linux.  I am able to scan the PCI bus and see the devices and I was even
able to program the EEPROM from U-boot.

In the kernel I mapped the IRQ's through /arch/ppc/m82xx_pci.c.  I've
been using the e100 drive that comes with the 2.6.17.14 kernel and have
also tried the driver directly from Intel.  Both give the same results.
The PCI scan shows the correct output for how the device should be
configured.

The situation is when I use the ethtool with the driver loaded and eth0
not configured with ifconfig I get this:
SCB Status Word (Lower Word)             0x0000
      RU Status:               Idle
      CU Status:               Idle