Question on nfsroot shared by multiple targets

Ajit Singh Ajit.Singh at vihaannetworks.com
Mon Jun 11 20:26:28 EST 2007

Johan,

The way i had done it was creating a read only partition for the / (root)
filesystem. The /var partition was the only one created seperately for the
different mounted systems. The additional work done was to have a /var/etc
with the links made from the /etc directory for the files that need change
across the system. The entries softlink and if any file ctreation was done
in the rcS scripts. It would take a bit of time, but it works.

regards
Ajit

Vihaan Networks Limited | 246, Phase - IV, Udyog Vihar, Gurgoan , PIN
122015, Haryana, India, Phone: +91-124-4311712, Fax: +91-124-4104766 |
www.vihaannetworks.com

DISCLAIMER This message and any attachment therewith is privileged,
confidential and proprietary in nature and the property of the originator.
It is intended solely and exclusively for use by the individual to whom it
is addressed. It should not be circulated or used for any purpose other
than for what is stated. If you have received this message erroneously,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message and are
called upon to delete the same from your system. Any contradictory action
by you may invite penal consequences. Vihaan Networks Ltd. accepts no
responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information
transmitted by this email including but not limited to damage from virus."

Johan Borkhuis <j.borkhuis at dutchspace.nl>
Sent by:
linuxppc-embedded-bounces+ajit.singh=vihaannetworks.com at ozlabs.org
06/11/07 02:18 PM

linuxppc-embedded at ozlabs.org
cc

Subject
Question on nfsroot shared by multiple targets

Hello,

I have the following setup: one server, with DHCP server and NFS-root
for an embedded target. With one target this works OK, but now I want to
add another target. The problem I see is that both targets are going to
write into the same logfiles and lockfiles.
I did setup the DHCP server in such a way that the NFS-root of the
target points to /nfsroot/<last octet of IP address>. But for this to
work I need a copy of the complete tree for each target board. I would
prefer to have only one tree for all targets, as this saves the effort
of keeping all trees in sync.
I could create a smaller NFS-root per target, with only /etc, /var and
some other directories and mount-points and mount all directories from a
central nfsroot using the local fstab in /etc. This could work for /var,
but I would still need to keep /etc in sync.

Is there another way to do this, or is this the correct way to setup a
multi-target system?

Kind regards,
    Johan Borkhuis