Question on nfsroot shared by multiple targets

Johan Borkhuis j.borkhuis at dutchspace.nl
Mon Jun 11 18:48:22 EST 2007

Hello,

I have the following setup: one server, with DHCP server and NFS-root
for an embedded target. With one target this works OK, but now I want to
add another target. The problem I see is that both targets are going to
write into the same logfiles and lockfiles.
I did setup the DHCP server in such a way that the NFS-root of the
target points to /nfsroot/<last octet of IP address>. But for this to
work I need a copy of the complete tree for each target board. I would
prefer to have only one tree for all targets, as this saves the effort
of keeping all trees in sync.
I could create a smaller NFS-root per target, with only /etc, /var and
some other directories and mount-points and mount all directories from a
central nfsroot using the local fstab in /etc. This could work for /var,
but I would still need to keep /etc in sync.

Is there another way to do this, or is this the correct way to setup a
multi-target system?

Kind regards,
    Johan Borkhuis