SDRAM failures on MPC5200B

Frank Bennett bennett78 at lpbroadband.net
Sat Jul 21 03:03:40 EST 2007

lokowich wrote:
> We're working on bringing up a MPC5200B version of our original
> MPC5200 board using U-Boot 1.1.4 configured for Icecube/Lite5200B.
> Other than the CPU, the board is identical.  The bootloader crashes
> just after relocation to RAM, often with a Program Check Exception,
> typically a memory corruption issue.  I noticed failures at different
> stages after relocation based on content, suggesting problems with
> upper SDRAM.  If I force the initram to 1/2 the determined size (64MB
> instead of 128MB), then everything works well through kernel load and
> initialization.  We've added termination resistors to improve AD
> signals, to no avail.  Memory tests work fine too.  Any help is
> appreciated.
Review MPC5200B errata data sheets.  I found a BDI2000 + RS232 console
port most useful for turning on a new design.  Even
the exercise of BDI commands to tftp load/verify, memory write/verify,
debugging u-boot to run out of ram, with & w/o cache
turned on can be enlightening.

/*/Frank Bennett
President/*/

Mathegraphics,LLC