How to access physical memory from user space for MPC8260 chip

Fillod Stephane stephane.fillod at thomson.net
Thu Jul 12 22:07:52 EST 2007

suresh suresh wrote:
>I have to map physical memory to user space or kernel space. I am
writing >driver for MPC8260 chip and I want to know how to map any
32-bit address >space to user space and kernel space.

Your question is a linuxppc-embedded FAQ. User-land access is documented

in Denx's FAQ[1], and accessible through shorter URL[2]. For more
information, please follow this thread[3] (not ppc specific actually).

[1]
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/PPCEmbedded/DeviceDrivers#Section_Acce
ssingPeripheralsFromUserSpace
[2] http://tinyurl.com/6c7th
[3] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.ppc.embedded/5053

In kernel land, ioremap() is all you need.

Don't forget to use the 'eieio' asm instruction if you want explicit
I/O ordering.

Best Regards,
--
Stephane, the userland ioremap bot