JTAG emulator for MPC8548E (v2)

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at technotrade.biz
Thu Jan 25 20:24:41 EST 2007

Hi Eugene,

> > > Most likely problem isn't in BDI but in your setup. Depending on
> > > the particular chip model, to be able use workspace you must have
> > > initialized memory first. In fact, I'm pretty sure you haven't
> > > configured chip correctly to make workspace usable. I've been using
> > > BDI with various PowerPC and MIPS SoCs for many years. It's an
> > > excellent tool, you just have to use it correctly.
> >
> > I wish it was that simple.
>
> Sorry, but it is. It's a low level tool which requires deep knowledge
> of the chip.
>
> >  It is probably a target processor configuration
> > issue, as I can use the workspace if
> >
> > a) the target flash has already been programmed with U-Boot
> > b) the BDI-2000 is misconfigured and fails to stop the target processor
> > at startup.
> >
> > I can thus use the workspace when U-Boot initializes the processor.
>
> Wow, so you knew it wasn't BDI but a configuration problem from the
> start. So it all was just a FUD, how low.

I don't agree with you there. It is a configuration issue related to the BDI.
For all I know, it could be a bug in the BDI that only occurs when
initialising given registers in a given sequence. Or it might be an issue
with the BDI-2000 unit I got, which might have a hardware problem. I blamed
my configuration file first, but even the tech support people haven't been
able to locate the issue.

All I know is that U-Boot is able to initialise the processor correctly, but
the BDI isn't, even when fed with a configuration file that performs the same
initialisation sequence as U-Boot. There are two possible causes : either I
got the configuration file wrong and forgot a setting, or the BDI fails to
perform one of the steps correctly.

> > I had a look at U-Boot code and tried to initialize the processor
> > registers with the same values, without luck. I asked Abatron's French
> > distributor for technical support, and they haven't been able to help me.
> > They made me try lots of different initialization sequences. Several
> > people online sent me their configuration file, and none of them worked
> > for me.
> >
> > So, there must be a configuration problem somewhere, but even Abatron's
> > technical support haven't been able to find it. That's why I complained
> > about their support in my e-mail.
>
> In your original e-mail you made it look like BDI has a bug in it,
> which in fact isn't true. Bad support might be a concern, I agree, but
> this doesn't make a tool bad, IMHO.

I don't know where the bug is, unfortunately. As I stated, the BDI-2000 is a
nice tool, which helped me a lot. I just wish I hadn't suffered such a bad
technical support experience. That's probably the French distributor's fault,
and it seems I have been very unlucky when contacting Abatron directly.

Laurent Pinchart