Who's the maintainer for the freescale MPC8349ITX board?

Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com
Wed Jan 24 19:15:52 EST 2007

"Russell McGuire" <rmcguire at uwbt.com> wrote on 01/19/2007 07:06:56 PM:

> Bruce,
>
> Did you ever get linux to boot up?
>
> I am wondering if I am having similar problems on my system, though it
is
> based on the MPC8360E. Serial port code and clocking is the same between
> these systems, at least it should be.
Russ,

Sorry I took so long to get back to you on this.  I've spent the last
couple of days trying to reproduce the problems I had bringing this board
up to see if there really were any issues in the code or if it was just me
not knowing what the heck I was doing.  Turned out to be the latter,
naturally.

I can't speak to the 8360, but since it's in the same family I expect the
differences in this regard are trivial.  I did finally manage to get the
2.6.19.1 kernel to boot on the MPC8349ITX board using u-boot 1.2.0 (I
don't know if u-boot 1.1.6-dirty is close enough or not) and the
mpc8349emitx.dts file in the 2.6.19.1 tree.  Some things to know however
(which I didn't when I started :O ).  You need to use the '-f' flag with
the DTC to force it to compile (at least I had to with the version I
have), otherwise it will error out when it finds no 'chosen' node.  You
don't need one, u-boot will add a 'chosen' node on the fly.  Also, you
need to use the '-V 0x10' flag in DTC, otherwise it defaults to making a
version 3 blob.  u-boot seems unable to parse a version 3 blob and
therefore can't fill in the properties it needs to for the kernel to boot.
 So, in the end my command to generate the blob file looked like this:

./dtc -I dts -O dtb -f -V 0x10 mpc8349emitx.dts > 8349.blob

This worked for me, your milage may vary.

See 'ya!

Bruce