MPC8360E Linux and 2.6.19.2

Russell McGuire rmcguire at uwbt.com
Wed Jan 24 09:33:51 EST 2007

I have tracked my 'lockup' to a specific line in /powerpc/kernel/prom.c

In the function: __init unflatten_device_tree(void)
On line:

mem = lab_alloc(size + 4, __alignof__(struct device_node));
mem = (unsigned long) __va(mem);

((u32 *)mem[size / 4] = 0xdeadbeef;

This is causing a lockup when 0xdeadbeef is written. I have no idea why...

My assumption would be that somehow the memory is not ready? Or BATS are not
setup correctly? Perhaps a LAW register?

Is this line dependent on having the DTS tree setup correctly? If so, how
big can the 'memory' node be in the DTS file? I have mine tried a single
bank of 256MB, and of 512MB <I have a single 512MB DIMM at the moment>

-Russ