Who's the maintainer for the freescale MPC8349ITX board?

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Jan 18 15:23:50 EST 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 9:55 PM, Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:

> linuxppc-embedded-bounces+brucle=selinc.com at ozlabs.org wrote on
> 01/17/2007
> 07:42:09 AM:
>

>> On Jan 17, 2007, at 12:27 AM, Bruce_Leonard at selinc.com wrote:
>>
>>> anything in the source.  I don't want to clutter up the mailing
>>> list with
>>> newbie questions so I'd like to get in touch with the person who
>>
>> Ask the questions on the list, thus they are around for others to
>> learn from if need by.
>>
>> - kumar
>>
> Well, okay.  I hate taking up bandwidth for something that's no doubt
> trivial to most of you, but here goes.  I'm trying to bring up the
> 2.6.19.1 kernel using u-boot 1.1.6 on the MPC8349ITX board and I'm
> having
> problems with the open firmware part of it (which I am TOTALLY new
> to).
> Short version, I don't think the *.dts file for this board is
> correct and
> I'm wondering if anyone might have a newer version or good
> documentation
> as to the formatting of the *.dts files?

There should be an update dts in the kernel source under arch/powerpc/
boot/dts

> Long version: While booting the kernel it seems to hang in the
> do_div()
> call on line 933 of .../arch/powerpc/kernel/time.c (yes I know it's
> not
> really a call but inline assembly) because ppc_tb_freq is zero.  The
> get_freq() calls in generic_calibrate_decr() find the 'timebase-
> frequency'
> and 'clock-frequency' entries in the device tree, but the value is
> zero
> and thus ppc_tb_freq is zero.

Sounds like your u-boot isn't properly filling out parts of the
devtree while booting.

> Digging through the u-boot code, I found ft_setup() which is
> supposed to
> add some stuff to the device tree passed in on the bootm command
> line. One
> of the things it's supposed to do is fill in the 'timebase-frequency'
> portion of the device tree.  When it calls ft_get_prop() to find the
> 'timebase-frequency' node it passes in the path
> '/cpus/PowerPC,8349 at 0/timebase-frequency' as what it's searching
> for, but
> what ft_get_prop() finds is
> '///cpus//cpus/PowerPC,8349 at 0/timebase-frequency', which of course
> doesn't
> match, so it returns NULL to ft_setup() and the 'timebase-
> frequency' never
> gets updated before being passed to the kernel.

Hmm, that's odd.  I'm pretty sure the '/' are added while we parse
the tree seems like some prefix is getting added on you '///cpus/' if
I was to guess.  I'd double check your .dts against the one in the
kernel tree.

> So I'm guessing the my problem is either the *.dts file or dtc, but
> I'm
> not sure which since I'm so new to this and I'm not sure if the
> *.dts file
> I've got is properly formatted.  I suppose it's possible that
> ft_get_prop() in u-boot is wrong, but for now I'm betting it's
> right and
> my *.dts file is formatted wrong.  (FYI, I'm using
> .../arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8349emitx.dts from the 2.6.19.1 kernel
> tree.)

Well that's really odd than.  I'd try grabbing u-boot 1.2.0 and see
if you still have the same issue.

Also, how are you invoking dtc to get the dtb?

> Thanks for listening and for your feedback.

- k