debugging custom Xilinx boot loader with abatron and Montavistadevrocket

Martin, Tim tim.martin at viasat.com
Sun Feb 25 10:14:44 EST 2007

> 1) In DevRocket, what kind of project do you choose to debug an
> externally build .elf file?
> MontaVista support engineers had no clue.

Not sure about DevRocket specifically, but in Eclipse you would choose a C
application with external makefile.  In Eclipse 3.1 (with CDT) its specifically
called a "Standard Make C Project".  There's also something similar in the
Xilinx EDK Eclipse-based offering (called Platform Studio SDK).  The PS-SDK
defaults to using backend xmd/gdb through the FPGA JTAG port.

My personal preference is to use gdb standalone or ddd/gdb

> 2) How do you use DevRocket to create a cross compiled set of code
> linked to a specific address.
> MontaVista support engineers also had no clue on this one.

Again, not sure in DevRocket.  In general, you will want to use a custom
linker script.  You can tailor a linker script from one of your EDK projects.
To pass it into the linker (ld), use the -T option.  Another useful option is
-M to create a map file.  If you're calling the linker from gcc, remeber to
preface these options with -Wl. man ld and man gcc are your friends.

If you get really stuck, you can look at a the makefile from an example EDK
project and see what it is doing.