Moving from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc with an MPC8248 (part 1)

Vitaly Bordug vbordug at ru.mvista.com
Thu Feb 15 00:53:30 EST 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 14:43:18 +0100
Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart at technotrade.biz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > I'm trying to take the big jump and move my (mostly) stable board support
> > > from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc. I'm still at a very early stage, but here
> > > are already a few questions.
> > >
> > > arch/ppc defines some 8260 generic handlers in syslib/mpc8260_setup.c for
> > > operations such as halt, reset, show_cpuinfo, ... The MPC82xx ADS in
> > > arch/powerpc/platforms/82xx redefines those handles as board-specific
> > > functions. Should they be made generic to all 82xx boards, or should I
> > > copy them to my board-specific file ? If the code should be shared by all
> > > 82xx boards, I'll probably end up copying most of the
> > > arch/ppc/syslib/mpc8260_setup.c code to
> > > arch/powerpc/platforms/82xx/mpc82xx.c.
> >
> > I'd just copy stuff to the BSP -- let's consider the common/uncommon stuff
> > later when we'll have to add something else.
> >
> > It's hard to envision what level of code should be common and what should
> > be board-specific as of now. Otherwise, we'll have to painfully revisit
> > issue later.
>
> It seems there are still lots of inconsistencies regarding MPC82xx support in
> arch/powerpc. For instance, get_immrbase() is used to get the IMMR address
> from the OF device tree, but cpm2_map() uses the CPM_MAP_ADDR address which
> is platform-dependant, and hardcoded to 0xf0000000 in
> platforms/82xx/pq2ads.h.

Are you using up-to-date powerpc.git? I get rid of hardcoded CPM_MAP_ADDR
completely (or it should be such, heh). please make sure you have my recent commits in.

> Is someone working on fixing MPC82xx support for arch/powerpc ? I don't have
> much time now to hack all the platform-specific code and cleanup
> inconsistencies, so if someone is working on it I'll wait for patches. If
> not, I'll have to work on that later, as time permits. As I'm new to the
> arch/powerpc code, I'd appreciate if someone with a good understanding of
> what should be done could give me a few pointers (such as 'fix the CPM2
> mapping code this way', just general guidelines). Otherwise I'll have to ask
> questions at every line of code.

Well 827x works perfectly for me, and there are no direct immr dereferences anymore in arch/powerpc...
There still might be gotchas because that merge was sort of one-man-show, but let me know and we'll figure out something.

--
Sincerely,
Vitaly