Moving from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc with an MPC8248 (part 1)

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at technotrade.biz
Thu Feb 15 00:43:18 EST 2007

Hi,

> > I'm trying to take the big jump and move my (mostly) stable board support
> > from arch/ppc to arch/powerpc. I'm still at a very early stage, but here
> > are already a few questions.
> >
> > arch/ppc defines some 8260 generic handlers in syslib/mpc8260_setup.c for
> > operations such as halt, reset, show_cpuinfo, ... The MPC82xx ADS in
> > arch/powerpc/platforms/82xx redefines those handles as board-specific
> > functions. Should they be made generic to all 82xx boards, or should I
> > copy them to my board-specific file ? If the code should be shared by all
> > 82xx boards, I'll probably end up copying most of the
> > arch/ppc/syslib/mpc8260_setup.c code to
> > arch/powerpc/platforms/82xx/mpc82xx.c.
>
> I'd just copy stuff to the BSP -- let's consider the common/uncommon stuff
> later when we'll have to add something else.
>
> It's hard to envision what level of code should be common and what should
> be board-specific as of now. Otherwise, we'll have to painfully revisit
> issue later.

It seems there are still lots of inconsistencies regarding MPC82xx support in
arch/powerpc. For instance, get_immrbase() is used to get the IMMR address
from the OF device tree, but cpm2_map() uses the CPM_MAP_ADDR address which
is platform-dependant, and hardcoded to 0xf0000000 in
platforms/82xx/pq2ads.h.

Is someone working on fixing MPC82xx support for arch/powerpc ? I don't have
much time now to hack all the platform-specific code and cleanup
inconsistencies, so if someone is working on it I'll wait for patches. If
not, I'll have to work on that later, as time permits. As I'm new to the
arch/powerpc code, I'd appreciate if someone with a good understanding of
what should be done could give me a few pointers (such as 'fix the CPM2
mapping code this way', just general guidelines). Otherwise I'll have to ask
questions at every line of code.

Best regards,

Laurent Pinchart