Linux 2.6 from git.xilinx and XUPV2P

Stephen Neuendorffer stephen.neuendorffer at xilinx.com
Wed Dec 12 04:54:03 EST 2007

Hi!

Unfortunately, at this point, git.xilinx.com is not 'beginner friendly'.
There is a rather complicated set of things that has to be coordinated
between EDK and the linux kernel.  Also, many EDK designs will simply
not work with the Linux drivers.  Today, it is primarily a place for us
to collaborate with the open source community on new development, hence
it also is perhaps less stable than a beginner really wants.

That said:
git.xilinx.com includes all the common EDK drivers.  The only thing you
should need to add is the xparameters file.  Today, this requires
generating the Board Support Package from a recent version of EDK, using
the linux_2_6 OS support and copied into
arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/xparameters/.  Then whenever you run make use
ARCH=ppc.

This appnote shows how to use the linux_2.6 BSP:
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp969.pd

There are also several websites with more information about 'rolling
your own' Linux kernel and root file system (google some combination of
'xilinx' 'virtex' 'ml310' 'ml300' and 'linux'):

http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/IMPACT/gsrc/hardwarelab/docs/kernel-HOWTO.html
http://www.klingauf.com/v2p/index.phtml
http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~rios/ml310/ml310_linux.htm
http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/lis/empart/xup_ppc_linux.shtml
http://splish.ee.byu.edu/projects/LinuxFPGA/index.htm

Personally, EDK4.1 works fine for me.  It may be that you are
configuring lots of features in the kernel.  A good start would be the
ml300_defconfig.

Steve