how to debug the linux kernel with a BDI2000

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Aug 30 19:52:10 EST 2007

Hi Denny,

> My kernel hanged in when passed the parameters to it, and I dump nothing from
> the log_buf, so I guss it is crashed at the very beginning.
>
> however I didn't know how to setup the KDB to load the kernel with the BDI2000
> ethernet? is there anyone has even loaded and debugged the kernel with the
> BDI2000 ethernet? if so pls show me how it goes?

You don't need KDB to use the BDI2000 to debug a linux kernel, in fact
you need nothing on the target side.  Simply attach the BDI to your
hardware, and use a (cross-)gdb with the "target remote
<ipaddr>:<port>" command.  Our DULG shows how to do that with
U-Boot[1].  Debugging (static) Linux is exactly the same...

Cheers
  Detlev

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/DebuggingUBoot

--
debian is a prototype for a future version of emacs.
                         -- Thien-Thi Nguyen in <7eekubiffq.fsf at ada2.unipv.it>