Flash paritioning and JFFS2

Michael Brian Willis willis at arlut.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 24 02:08:57 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 06:36 -0700, Mirek23 wrote:
> Could someone advice me how to configure Linux kernel to make use of the
> Flash (with above mentioned partitions and JFFS2.

The Denx U-boot and Linux Guide (DULG) will tell you how to configure
the kernel for MTD devices and will give some good general information:
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/FlashFilesystemsMTD

> I do not know however which specific options to enable for MTD/JFFS2 since
> it has many sub options.

The following post has some relevant information for your setup:
http://osdir.com/ml/linux.uclinux.devel/2005-12/msg00130.html

> I do not know also where to place:
> -the partition information (which I have mentioned above)

The partition information probably should go in a file that you create
for your board located at "drivers/mtd/maps/<your_file>.c"

> -the start (0xFF800000) and end (0xFFBFFFFF) physical location of my Flash
> memory.

I think this information just needs to be defined in your board's .h
file in u-boot. I don't think you need to specify this in any linux
config files.

I hope this info helps.

Regards,

Michael Willis
Applied Research Labs - University of Texas
willis at arlut.utexas.edu