Xilinx Virtex4 FX PPC

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue Aug 21 03:50:29 EST 2007

On 8/20/07, Robert Woodworth <rwoodworth at securics.com> wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I'm beginning development with a Xilinx PPC/FPGA.  I've now gotten my
> feet wet and have a few successes and a few head scratches.
>
> I have a Xilinx ML403 dev board.  I ran the Monta-Vista Linux 2.4 demo.
> good.
>

> Now for my own attempt.
> (Please reply if anything I'm doing is incorrect)
>
> I found a pre-built toolchain for my i686 Debian host with
> gcc-4.1.1 + glibc6.  I downloaded kernel 2.6.23-rc3 after reading
> several posts on this list about the ML403 and drivers in this kernel
> version.
>
> Problem 1:  The kernel did not have the correct memory information.  I
> noticed in 'embed_config.c' that the board params are hard coded,
> however my kernel was not linking with that version of embed_config().
> It was linking with embed_config() in 'misc-embedded.c'
> Did I miss a config parameter in the kernel config??

Probably.  The one in misc-embedded.c has the 'weak' attribute, so it
gets linked in if a stronger version is not provided.  Check that
CONFIG_* values that wrap the Xilinx section of embed_config.c

As for the hard coded values, you need to add an xparameters_<board>.h
file as generated by the EDK 'linux-2.6' bsp and fixup
arch/ppc/platforms/4xx/xparameters.h appropriately to include it.

> My kernel now boots and mounts the MontaVista rootfs on the SystemACE
> Flash!!! :)

Cheers,
g.

--